This is how you get up in the morning and get productive right away
“Now that it is winter, I find it so difficult to get up in the mornings”
~Friend who shall remain unnamed
Does the above sound like something you would say? Then this article is for you.
There are many people who struggle to get up in the mornings and getting started with their day, often snoozing their alarm again and again till they are late.
“ Don’t think. Just execute the plan. The plan is the alarm clock goes off, you get up, you go work out. Get some.“
I was one of these people.
However, I used this simple little life hack to change that. I have two alarms, one by my bed, that goes off with a soft alarm at let´s say 05:59, and then a second alarm in the kitchen that goes off at 06:00 like a foghorn on a cruise ship.
Then I know, when the alarm by my bed goes off, that I have 60 seconds to get to the other alarm before I wake up the entire block, and that is something that get´s you out of bed!
And when you have already made it there it is easy to employ some discipline (Jocko Willink would be proud) and get started with your day, instead of going back to bed.
“One key to success is to have lunch at the time of day most people have breakfast.“
Be effective with your time
So now that you have already it up, you might as well spend that time on doing something good for yourself, such as:
- Doing 75 Kettlebell swings (or any other exercise that get´s your blog pumping)
- Cooking yourself and good and nutritious breakfast (or fasting if you are an IF´er)
- Taking a cold shower
- Plan our your day and set goals
- and many others.
The list is endless, because now that you master getting up when the alarm rings, you might as well start setting the alarm earlier and enjoy and be productive in all the extra time you are getting. And not just extra time, but the time where your brain is the most decluttered and ready for problem solving, idea generation, reading and analysing philosophy, etc.
Tips and Tricks for the one who needs an extra hand to get started.
I employ a few different tricks to make this more pleasant, and there are probably plenty more out there that will help turn you into a master of early rises, but the things I do are:
- Set my smart coffee maker to smart grinding the beans just before my alarm goes off so I wake up to fresh coffee
- Use a smart light to start slowly imitating a sunrise in my bedroom in the last 30 minutes before my alarm goes off
- Go to bed on time to be able to catch 7–8 hours off sleep, consistently (well, almost consistenly anyway)
- Avoid eating, working out or stressful thinking too close to bedtime
- Read something light just before sleeping
- I´d wish I could also say I don´t look at a screen 30–60 minutes before bed, as is adviced by many, but I just can´t avoid it.
- BONUS TRICK: Just before going to bed, write down (with pen and paper) what one of your problems you need to attack tomorrow are. Go to sleep, and when you wake up, sit down again and look at the same problem and I can almost guarantee you, the solution to your problem is clear after your subconscious has been chewing on it all night.
Now go use your new found superpower to change the world for the better!